New York City Drug Crimes Attorney
Defending Those Who Are Facing Drug Crime Chagres in NEw York
The specific severity of criminal charges and penalties that you may face for a drug crime conviction will depend directly upon the type of drug, the amount, and the specific offense you have been accused of committing. Simple possession of marijuana, for instance, is a lesser charge than the trafficking of heroin. A New York City drug crime lawyer from our firm may be able to help you if you are facing any sort of drug charges, including those involving possession, cultivation, distribution, sale, manufacturing, and more.
What is the Jail Time You Could Face For Drug Possession in NY?
The amount of jail time you can face for drug possession largely depends on the amount and type of drug that is found in your possession. For example, under New York law, if you possess eight or more ounces of a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) that is listed as a narcotic drug, you can face 15 to 25 years in prison. However, if you possess less than eight ounces but more than four ounces of CDS listed as a narcotic drug, you can face 3 to 8 years and four months in prison.
How Your Drug Charges Could Affect Your Driving Privileges
From possession to manufacturing to trafficking, there are a number of ways in which one can be criminally charged when it comes to the involvement of drugs. Consequently, there are also a number of ways in which one can be punished as well. Of high significance for drivers are those charges that involve DUI (driving under the influence), for it is these that imply illegal driving that was enacted under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
Penalties might include the following:
- Hefty Fines
- License Suspension
- License Revocation
- Jail Time
- Possible Probation
Drug Schedule in New York
New York State uses the federal drug schedule system to classify controlled substances. The schedules are based on the substance's medical use, potential for abuse, and dependence liability.
- Schedule I: Drugs that have a high potential for abuse and no accepted medical use. Examples include heroin, LSD, and ecstasy.
- Schedule II: These drugs have a high potential for abuse and severe dependence liability, but they have an accepted medical use. Examples include cocaine, morphine, and fentanyl.
- Schedule III: This includes drugs that have a moderate to low potential for abuse and a moderate to low dependence liability, but they still have an accepted medical use. Examples include anabolic steroids, ketamine, and codeine in combination with aspirin or Tylenol.
- Schedule IV: These types of drugs have a low potential for abuse and a low dependence liability, but they have an accepted medical use in the United States. Examples include Xanax, Valium, and Ambien.
- Schedule V: These drugs have a lower potential for abuse than Schedule IV drugs and are used for medical purposes. Examples include cough syrups with codeine.
Legal Defenses for Drug Crimes in NY
There are several legal defenses available that may help individuals facing drug charges avoid conviction or reduce their sentences.
- Illegal search and seizure of drugs
- The drugs in question were not actually in the possession of the defendant or that the accused was unaware of their presence
Protect Yourself With A Skillful Defense
Being arrested on suspicion of a drug crime may mean that you will face imprisonment, fines, and probation if you are convicted. At the very least, a conviction may result in court-ordered rehabilitation or treatment. If you or someone you know is facing drug charges in New York, Long Island, or New Jersey, contact a drug crimes attorney at Gannes & Musico, LLP today to find out how our firm can help you avoid the serious consequences a conviction can bring.
Understanding the Consequences of Drug Crimes
Drug crimes in New York can carry severe penalties, including hefty fines, probation, and even imprisonment. It's crucial to understand the potential consequences of drug charges and the impact they can have on your future. Our experienced New York City drug crimes attorney can provide you with the legal guidance and representation you need to navigate through the complexities of the legal system and protect your rights.
Consequences of drug crimes in New York may include:
- Permanent criminal record
- Difficulty finding employment
- Loss of professional licenses
- Ineligibility for certain government benefits
- Immigration consequences for non-citizens
Don't face these serious consequences alone. Contact Gannes & Musico, LLP today to speak with our skilled NYC drug crimes lawyer and start building a strong defense for your case.
Contact Our NYC Drug Crimes Lawyer Today
The defense strategy that a lawyer at our firm may utilize will vary depending on your case. However, unlawful search and seizures are often grounds to have key evidence excluded in drug crime cases. Law enforcement may conduct a search of you or your property without having a valid warrant or probable cause to perform the search. The evidence obtained under these circumstances should not be able to be used as direct evidence against you, the defendant. A New York City drug crime attorney can fight to help ensure your rights are protected in this regard.
Final verdict of not guilty!
“Final verdict of not guilty.”
Very personable in handling your case and an experienced Traffic Attorney!
“She is the greatest.”
Thank you so much for doing an outstanding job to get the ticket dismissed.
“Thank you so much for doing an outstanding job to get the ticket dismissed.”
NOT GUILTY . Saved 5 points of penalty on my license.
“NOT GUILTY . Saved 5 points of penalty on my license.”
Choosing Attorney Gannes was the best decision I could have made!
“Choosing Attorney Gannes was the best decision I could have made!”