New York Criminal Defense Lawyer
Assertive Defense from an Experienced Legal Team
Have you been arrested for DWI? Are you under investigation for simple assault, marijuana possession or another misdemeanor offense? A New York criminal defense attorney at Gannes & Musico, LLP may be able to help you. Our firm is dedicated to providing experienced, aggressive representation for clients throughout New York, Long Island, and New Jersey.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your particular criminal matter, answer your questions, and determine what we can do to defend your rights both in and out of the courtroom. When you consult with an attorney at our firm you have the chance to find out more about your situation so you can make an educated decision about your legal counsel.
Penalties for Crimes in New York
A misdemeanor conviction in New York may result in serious criminal penalties.
What are the penalties might result from a misdemeanor conviction?
- Imprisonment in county jail for up to one year
- Heavy fines
- Community service
- Driver's license suspension
- Probation, parole and more
Sex offender registration may be required if a defendant is convicted of a sex crime. If you are convicted of a felony offense, the penalties may range from one year in state prison all the way to life imprisonment or even the death penalty.
We represent clients who have been charged with the following offenses:
Stages of the Criminal Process in New York
The criminal process in New York typically involves the 6 following stages:
- Arrest: The suspect is arrested, either with a warrant or without a warrant if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime.
- Arraignment: After an arrest, the suspect is brought before a judge for arraignment, where the charges against them are read out loud, and they are informed of their rights. The suspect can plead guilty or not guilty at this stage.
- Pretrial Proceedings: This stage includes plea bargaining, discovery, and motions. The prosecution and defense exchange information and negotiate a possible plea bargain.
- Trial: If the case goes to trial, the prosecution must prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense can present evidence and cross-examine witnesses.
- Sentencing: If the defendant is found guilty, the judge will impose a sentence based on the severity of the crime and any mitigating or aggravating factors.
- Appeal: The defendant has the right to appeal the conviction or sentence. The appeals process may take several months or even years.
The process in New York can vary depending on the type of crime and the court where the case is heard. Certain cases may be resolved through alternative dispute resolution methods such as diversion programs, which aim to provide defendants with the opportunity to avoid a criminal conviction.
Protect Your Rights with a Skilled New York City Criminal Defense Lawyer
When facing criminal charges, it's crucial to have a knowledgeable and experienced legal team on your side to protect your rights and provide a strong defense. At Gannes & Musico, LLP, our New York City criminal defense attorneys are dedicated to advocating for our clients and achieving the best possible outcome for their cases.
Benefits of hiring a skilled NYC criminal defense lawyer include:
- Expert legal guidance and representation
- Thorough understanding of New York criminal laws and procedures
- Strategic defense strategies tailored to your specific case
- Negotiation with prosecutors for reduced charges or penalties
- Aggressive advocacy in the courtroom if your case goes to trial
Don't face criminal charges alone. Contact our New York criminal defense team today to schedule a consultation and discuss your legal options.
Talk to a New York Criminal Defense Attorney from Our Team!
Would you like to find out more about how a criminal defense lawyer can help you fight your criminal charges? At Gannes & Musico, LLP our representation is not only affordable but our lawyers are reliable and experienced. A thorough investigation, working with expert witnesses, evaluating physical evidence, and working to utilize the legal system in your favor are all ways that an attorney at our firm can work to obtain the best case outcome possible – no matter what the charges you are facing may be.
Choosing Attorney Gannes was the best decision I could have made!
“Choosing Attorney Gannes was the best decision I could have made!”
Well worth every dollar spent!
“I hired this law firm to help me fight a few tickets. They took care of everything A-Z. It was well worth every dollar spent. I strongly recommend them if you get a ticket hire them!!”
Final verdict of not guilty!
“Final verdict of not guilty.”
Thank you so much for doing an outstanding job to get the ticket dismissed.
“Thank you so much for doing an outstanding job to get the ticket dismissed.”
Very personable in handling your case and an experienced Traffic Attorney!
“She is the greatest.”